The mission of Transplanting Traditions Community Farm (TTCF) is to uplift food sovereignty in the refugee community through access to land, education and entrepreneurial opportunities. The farm provides a cultural community space for refugee adults and youth to come together, recreate home, build healthy communities, and continue agricultural traditions in the Piedmont of N.C. The farmers that make up the community at TTCF have life-long experience growing food. The unique service that TTCF provides to these farmers is thoughtfully curated education and assistance to strengthen their farming skills not only in this climate but this economy. The Business Development and Share-A-Share programs TTCF leads help farmers participate competitively in farming as a business as well as providing ongoing access to culturally significant foods in the Burma refugee community.
The Farm Operations Manager will work closely with the Farm Programs Educator, community gardeners, and 13 farm businesses making up the community farm. This role is hands-on, whether it’s providing technical assistance to farmers on repairs and field maintenance or planning engaging workshops that expand farmer knowledge, this individual will need to be confident in their farm knowledge and communication skills. This person will be comfortable working with small machines and tools, being outside for extended periods in all types of weather, and problem solving and diagnosing farm-related technical issues. Since this position will work closely with the farmers, many of whom have limited English skills, the ability to communicate information in plain language as well as through more than verbal communication is important. Applicants with immigrant or AAPI identity are encouraged to apply.
● Coordinate with Farm Site Managers on their responsibilities
● Collaborate with Farm Programs Educator to create engaging educational trainings
● Collaborate with Farm Programs Educator to provide weekly technical assistance for farmers
● Support maintenance of farm property including: irrigation repair, infrastructure repair,
communication with and training for farmers on basic repairs, and field management for pests,
disease and soil health
● Lead didactic planning meetings with farmers around seasonal crop planning, greenhouse
maintenance, and seed and supply ordering
● Lead existing Food Safety audits and mandatory training sessions, and uphold Food Safety
standard operating procedures
● Maintain consistent meeting schedules for farm businesses, including CSA team weekly
meetings, Share-a-Share weekly team meetings, and all-farmer team meetings
● Tracking and reporting for farm budget and supplies
● Lead general, private, and custom farm tours as requested by the public
● Comfort and ability to collaboratively manage, support, and delegate responsibilities between
other staff to be successful in their jobs/role
● Demonstrated experience in agriculture, with 3 years of year-round farm experience preferred
● Demonstrated understanding of CSA, farmer’s market, and wholesale production planning
● Excellent understanding of crop planning, soil fertility, agricultural food safety procedure, farm
equipment, and zone 7 winter season extension methods
● Practical experience leading educational workshops in agriculture, with 2 years experience
● Working knowledge of Google and Microsoft Suite including presentations, Excel/Sheets, and
● Confident in communicating with strangers over the phone and through email
● Strong attention to detail and ability to keep excellent records
● Fluent in English
● Fluent in Karen and/or Burmese language preferred but not required
● Able to comfortably work outside for extended periods of time and able to lift 50lbs
Desired start date: January 4th 2023
Time commitment: 40 hours a week (full time)
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Salary and benefits: $42,000 - $45,000 with health insurance coverage and 30 days paid time off Questions: Contact email@example.com or call 919-885-4063
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the job application form.
Interviews will start after October 17th and will continue until the position is filled.
We strive for work-life balance however the seasonal nature of the organization or project deadlines occasionally requires longer work weeks or weekend work with compensation time provided.
We are a family-friendly organization and do our best to be compassionate in scheduling to meet the needs of employees with families.